Monday, July 25, 2011

Mirabai's Saavan sung by Ranjani and Gayatri

Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. ~Rabindranath Tagore

The clouds of Saavan* rain,
to join my heart's humming
A familiar perfume airs
my love must be coming

Dark clouds from all sides
come together for an attack
Electricity charges the air,
lights a series of flash.

Tiny droplets dance around
as my hope slowly grows
my heart sings love songs
while a pleasant wind blows

- Shiv

* Saavan - Rainy season

Word from the studio ...

I found another version of this Mirabai bhajan today and listened to it. In the following rendition, the sadder minor third is used.  I am trying to sing Malhar how it was sung before Tansen's naughty invention.  I hope that can convey the delight of this beautiful poem.  Working on it!